MCS 20 software release challenges status quo by bringing life-cycle intelligence to building operations:
- OpenBIM data embedded in an IWMS that connects with the IoT (digital twin)
- Bidirectional integration between MCS IWMS and BIM collaboration platform Bimplus
- Asset Information Model fully integrated with work orders
Antwerp – Spacewell, a leading provider of building management software that is part of the listed Nemetschek Group, is releasing a major Q4 2020 upgrade of its MCS Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS). The MCS 20 release – featuring a unified user interface design and cohesive user experience across devices – allows for an easy transition to BIM-enabled FM, empowering organizations to optimize building management and maintenance. MCS 20 offers clear benefits for facilities managers but also for technicians, who can access BIM models in the field, visualize them in 3D (much faster than in any native IFC-based viewer) and see relevant assets as highlights on a semi-transparent building model, with all relevant information to execute work orders attached.
With MCS 20 asset registers for facility management no longer needing to be built manually, all spatial and asset data can be imported from BIM, and floors, rooms, and maintenance objects will be created automatically. This is not limited to a one-time operation; MCS 20 can import revised models, process the differences, and update the information accordingly. A BIM Explorer within MCS 20 lets users consult BIM models, with all of their objects and properties, in a graphical way. Users can update the properties of a BIM element and write the changes back to Bimplus. Thanks to an integration with MCS Web Work Orders, the tool also becomes incredibly useful for technicians working in buildings, providing them with clear asset location information and properties within the BIM model.
“As we have been told so often, BIM is intended to support the entire building life cycle: the design and construction phases, but also building operations and facility management. However, BIM-enabled FM has long remained in its infancy,” said Eric Van Bael, CEO at Spacewell. ”I’m thrilled that our new release now brings the benefits of BIM for FM within easy reach of building managers and field technicians. By embedding BIM data into an IWMS while also connecting with the IoT to collect data about building utilization, MCS 20 extends the value of BIM beyond design and construction and opens the way to create digital twins that help owners and project teams leverage intelligence throughout the building life cycle.”
Next to enabling BIM for FM, some of the most prominent and game-changing features of the new MCS 20 release include:
- New BI engine that comes preloaded with dynamic, best-practice dashboards; drill-down functionality and enhanced insights to optimize space and comfort for agile working and COVID-19 policy compliance
- Enhanced operations based on (near) real-time sensor data analytics including scenarios such as indoor climate monitoring, room and desk utilization and activity-based service delivery
- Mobile apps for both building occupants and technicians
- Work Manager, the mobile app assisting 25,000 field engineers globally, gets an updated and unified look and feel across devices
- Smart working for facilities staff with the Work Assistant, providing clear, highly visual instructions on color-coded floor plans for cleaning, IT, small repairs or catering. It lets mobile workers generate in-field work orders and connects with the IoT to trigger the right services at the right time based on real-time data from ongoing events
- Personal Assistant mobile app for tickets, services, reservations and feedback
- Smart displays to enrich people’s experience at work: the same app is used in different settings, e.g. personal smartphone, meeting room touchscreens and large-screen kiosks for high-traffic areas. These touchpoints make it easy for building occupants to find and book free spaces, locate co-workers, and book support tickets
- Intuitive ribbon navigation providing quick, personalized access to frequently used functionality
- Outlook add-in synced across devices when booking rooms on various apps and scheduling meetings in Outlook
Designed to be easily configurable, Spacewell’s IWMS software provides a depth of integrated functionality and rapid time-to-value, making it a trusted solution for large and medium-sized enterprises, public sector organizations, and facility and real estate services providers. The 2019 Verdantix Green Quadrant benchmark of integrated workplace management systems (IWMS) named MCS by Spacewell as one of six global IWMS leaders. The findings of this report are based on a 165-point questionnaire, live product demos and a survey of 300+ customers.