V1 Newsletter, Volume 1 / Issue 8 / Nov. 20, 2007
If you are unable to see the graphics in our newsletter, please visit our archive online.
"What is the Role of the Digital Terrain Model (DTM) Today?"
Vector One —" DTM are integral pieces to the building of infrastructure, managing it and communicating about our world. Without a surface, there are only objects in space - little to reference anything. It is the DTM that actually makes 3D happen - in the real world."
Jeff Thurston, Editor, EMEA and Russia,
Spatial Sustain —"A digital elevation model (DEM) represents the elevation of Earth's surface, including features (vegetation, buildings, etc.). A digital terrain model (DTM) provides a bare earth representation of terrain or surface topography. Both are highly useful data sets for visualizing our planet for scientific and commercial landscape study."
Matt Ball, Editor, Americas/Asia-Pacific,
TOP FIVE LINKS OF THE WEEK
Jeff's Top Five Links of the Week:
1) Metro Vancouver - Livable Centres - Livable Region Strategic Plan adopted since 1996.
2) Book: Research and Theory in Advancing Spatial Data Infrastructure Concepts
3) Ocean Portal - everything about the ocean.
4) Game: World Water Game from The Netherlands
5) CyArk - High Definition Heritage Network
Matt's Top Five Links of the Week:
1) Water for People-- A catalyst for change in communities without drinking water.
2) TerrainMap -- An online digital elevation modeling journal.
3) Maps for Canadians -- A site that helped extend the life of Canadian topographic maps.
4) Flash Earth -- A flash-based exploration system that lets you select imagery from Google, Microsoft, NASA and Yahoo!.
5) Institute of Navigation -- Dedicated to the advancement of the art and science of navigation.
Reader´s Links of the Week:
Submit suggested links to anything you would like to recommend that fellow readers do, see or read via e-mail to
Online Spatial Data Quality Library
After a very active acquisition streak that saw Leica Geosystems Geospatial Imaging's acquisition of Acquis, IONIC and ER Mapper, the technologies are coming together and reaching the market in new and interesting ways. Vector1 editor Matt Ball spoke to Milan Stojic, Vice President, Product Management and Marketing, about Leica Geosystems Geospatial Imaging's technology strategy and the future of converged technologies.
|4th GBIF Ecological Niche Modeling Workshop
Nov. 26 - 30, Warsaw, Poland
European GIS Utilities Summit
Nov. 26, London, UK
Nov. 27, Moscow, Russia
Autodesk University 2007
Nov. 27 - 30, Las Vegas, Nevada
GEO Ministerial Summit
Nov. 28, Capetown, South Africa
Nov. 30, London, UK
Offshore Wind - The Route of BARD Engineering
Dec. 4-6, Berlin, Germany
EU Industry Day for SDI
Dec. 7, Rome, Italy
Dec. 10 -13, Washington, D.C.
If you are unable to see the graphics in our newsletter, please visit our archive online