Vector One Blog —"For now, I think we are making slow upward progress. We have not sorted all the angles out because we don’t understand SDI fully, yet. The way forward would seem to suggest that we need to be educating and building capacity each step along the way."
Spatial Sustain Blog —"SDI within the United States has evolved from a centralized operation to a distributed network of stakeholders and partners. The coordinated effort aims to provide trusted, scalable, continuously updated and historically preserved data."
- Modelling Proves No Mission is Impossible
Advances in technology today are enabling new companies to participant in areas that were previously only reserved for large companies. Labour shortages are also compounding issues, particularly for civil engineering companies, who are facing growing problems in maintaining skilled staff, particularly those who know how to operate and apply the latest software tools. The result is an entrepreneurial dream – lots of work and effective tools to participate and grow.
Jeff's Top Five Links of the Week:
1) Europe: GEOparks - 32 European zones working together to conserve their geological heritage.
2) Good Scholarship with GIS Models - A Framework for thinking critically about models made with data.
3) Instituto Geografico Portugues - Atlas of Portugal and free data downloads.
4) Water on the Web - water educational materials.
5) EuroGeoSurveys - Association of European Geological Surveys
Matt's Top Five Links of the Week:
1) ECOWIDGET - download this desktop widget to stay connected to the eco-conscious world.
2) International Polar Year - technology to enable innovative observations.
3) SmartCode — a unified land development ordinance for planning and urban design.
4) E2 Series — PBS documentary series on sustainable design and energy.
5) GEO Ministerial Summit - earth observation for sustainable growth and development.
Reader´s Links of the Week:
With the continuing convergence of spatial technologies for greater intelligence, one company in particular stands out. Safe Software has long been in the business of moving data with their spatial ETL (extract, transform and load) platform FME. Vector1 Media editor Matt Ball had a conversation with Dale Lutz and Don Murray, co-presidents of Safe Software, about the fusion of spatial data and the promise of 3D.
AutoCAD Map 3D 2008 is the latest version of the popular engineering GIS program available from Autodesk. This product has been continually refined over the year's with new functionality added each version. This is no exception for 2008 with several new features added to the program that bridge CAD / GIS integration possibilities.
||World Science Forum - Investing in Sustainability
Oct. 24-27, Tshwane (Pretoria), South Africa
New Advances in Shape Analysis and Geometric Modeling Workshop
Oct. 24-26, Hannover, Germany
The Waves of Change
Nov. 21 - 23, Bangkok, Thailand
If you are unable to see the graphics in our newsletter, please visit our archive online.